Download the Clarity Family Application Guide
Tuition and Affordability
At MICDS, we strive to live into our bold Mission as we cultivate students who are equipped with academic, social, and emotional intelligence. We prepare students with the knowledge, skills, desire, and confidence needed to be successful and make a difference in an ever-growing, ever-changing world. Students are supported by faculty, coaches, administrators, and peers as they discover and further their passions in and out of the classroom.
26% of MICDS students were collectively granted over $6.29 million in tuition assistance for the 2023-24 academic year.
Collectively, the Class of 2023 is attending 90 college and universities in 28 different states along with Washington D.C., Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom. Fifteen graduates will be playing intercollegiate athletics.
Community of Kindness
The Middle School Honor Code is just one of the many ways that students are challenged to become their very best selves.
With heart and passion, along with robust resources and intentional programming, students collaborate from Junior Kindergarten through 12th grade.
Unique learning opportunities abound for all MICDS students.
Tuition and Average Tuition Assistance Grants:
|2023-24 Tuition||Average Need-Based Tuition Assistance for 2023-24|
|Lower School (Grades JK-4)||$24,250||$14,100|
|Middle School (Grades 5 & 6)||$28,750||$17,000|
|Middle & Upper School (Grades 7-12)||$33,250||$21,600|
- What's Included with Tuition?
- Lunch and snacks at each division
- Field trips for all grades
- Tablets in Lower School
- Laptops in Middle and Upper School
- Technology fees
- ACT and SAT prep
- Parents Association dues
- Summer Bridge orientation programs for new Middle and Upper School students
- Pathfinders Summer Institute
- Optional after-school study time for 7th-12th graders
- Summer strength and conditioning sessions for our student-athletes
- Student Accident Insurance
Other charges for textbooks, athletics, and classroom supplies can cost up to $1,500 per year.
Need-based tuition assistance.
MICDS’ tuition assistance program is a need-based program. Need is defined as the difference between educational expenses and the family’s ability to pay those expenses. Family situations vary widely and in addition to income, many factors such as household size, parent age, number of children in tuition paying schools, business, and personal assets, and debt are considered when determining a family’s need for assistance. Generally speaking, a family of four earning $175,000 and two students in tuition charging schools is likely to qualify for tuition assistance.
The MICDS Tuitions Assistance program is designed to make an MICDS education possible for all families based on demonstrated financial need and the availability of funds. Admission decisions are made solely on a student’s merits, irrespective of the family’s ability to pay. Therefore, applying for tuition assistance requires a separate application from the admissions application.
MICDS is proud to use Clarity to determine a family’s level of financial need based on the information that families share in the application, which includes assets, income, expenses, and debts.
- To get started with your tuition assistance application, please go to Clarity and create an account.
- The application typically takes less than 30 minutes to complete and is mobile-friendly, so you can complete it from anywhere. You are able to save your progress and return at any time.
- At the end of the application, there is a $60 fee to submit, and you can share your application with additional schools that accept the Clarity Application for no additional charge. Simply use the dropdown menu in the application to select those schools.
- The deadline for completing the tuition assistance application, including relevant supplemental documents, is November 20, 2023, for current families, and December 8, 2023 – January 31, 2024, for new families, depending on the grade level, which is detailed below.
- Join events to more deeply understand the tuition assistance process.
- MICDS: Need-Based Tuition Assistance Program (WEBINAR): Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 6:30-7:30 p.m. via Zoom. Register here.
- Clarity Family Webinars: All parents are invited to attend any of the following family information sessions to learn more about the Clarity application. Webinar recordings will be available.
September 19 – 6:30 p.m. ET
September 20 – 7:00 p.m. PT
October 18 – 6:30 p.m. ET
October 19 – 7:00 p.m. PT
- If you need support during the process of completing your application, there is a Clarity FAQ guide, in-app support available, email and phone support at email@example.com or 206-210-3752, in both English and Spanish, or you are welcome to contact Ciera Field, MICDS Associate Director of Admission – Tuition Assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More on How to Apply for Tuition Assistance
Obtain more information on how to apply for tuition assistance.
Guiding Principles for Families
These principles reflect the standards of equity and fairness among applicants and the collaborative nature of the application process.
Application Opening Date and Deadlines for First Round Consideration:
|Application Process Opens||September 25, 2023|
|Currently Enrolled Students||November 20, 2023|
|New 9th Grade Applicants||December 8, 2023|
|Family Early Action Option (JK) Applicants||December 15, 2023|
|New Applicants for All Other Grade Levels||January 31, 2024|
All other tuition assistance applications are due at the same time as the admission application.
- When is tuition due?
Tuition is due on the following dates:
- 10% is due at the time of enrollment
- 70% of the balance is due on August 15 of the current school year
- 30% of the balance is due on December 15 of the current school year
- Are there tuition payment options?
Payments can be made by check or through the MICDS website with ACH transfer or credit card. A 10-month payment plan (10-Pay Plan) is available. In this plan, monthly payments are automatically withdrawn from an account on a specific day of each month, July through April. MICDS does not accept tuition payments on behalf of enrolled students from unrelated third-party organizations.
- Can I use my 529 plan to pay tuition?
Yes, 529 plans can be accessed to pay tuition fees at MICDS for grades K-12. As of 2018, for federal tax benefit purposes, up to $10,000 in tuition expenses per student per year is exempt. In addition, Missouri taxpayers can use 529 assets with no state tax consequences. This is not the case with all states, so if you reside outside of Missouri, please consult your tax advisor. MICDS does not accept tuition payments on behalf of enrolled students from unrelated third-party organizations.
- Why is there an MICDS Fund on top of tuition costs?
Gifts to the MICDS Fund help to offset the cost of tuition and the full cost of educating a student at MICDS. All gifts are considered charitable contributions and are fully tax-deductible.
- What is tuition assistance?
Tuition assistance is a need-based grant that does not need to be paid back. All tuition assistance grants are based solely on a family’s demonstrated need as determined by Student Services and the MICDS Tuition Assistance Committee. More than $6.29 million in tuition assistance was granted for the 2023-2024 academic year. MICDS does not accept tuition payments on behalf of enrolled students from unrelated third-party organizations.
- What are the 2024-2025 school year tuition assistance application deadlines?
Applications for tuition assistance should be submitted at the same time as the admission application.
For First Round Consideration, please meet these application deadlines:
Currently Enrolled Students November 20, 2023 New 9th Grade Applicants December 8, 2023 Family Early Action Option (JK) Applicants December 15, 2023 New Applicants for All Other Grade Levels January 31, 2024
Learn more in our Affording MICDS brochure.
- What if I miss the tuition assistance application deadline?
Adhering to the submission deadlines is essential for first round consideration. Applications for tuition assistance will be accepted beyond the deadline, though assistance may be limited.
- What is demonstrated need?
“Demonstrated need” is defined as the difference between the amount a family is expected to contribute to the cost of the student’s education and the amount of annual tuition. All families attending MICDS are expected to contribute toward the cost of their student’s education.
- What does tuition assistance cover?
Tuition assistance is a tuition reduction. Families who receive need-based tuition assistance also receive partial assistance with other essential costs beyond tuition such as textbooks, summer reading, and extended day services.
- When will I receive a decision about tuition assistance?
Decisions on tuition assistance are made available at the same time as the admission decision and are included in the student enrollment agreement.
- What effect does a tuition assistance application have on a student's admission application?
None. Admission decisions are made irrespective of a family’s ability to pay. The admission process and the tuition assistance process are separate and distinct.
- Will the level of tuition assistance change in subsequent years?
Possibly. Because a family’s financial circumstances are subject to change, we require families to reapply for tuition assistance every year. However, if your family situation remains relatively the same, then you can expect relatively the same percentage of tuition assistance–understanding that tuition and fees are likely to increase each year. On the contrary, significant changes in household income, either up or down, would likely have an impact on a family’s demonstrated need.
- What if I am separated or divorced?
In cases of divorce or separation, each parent is required to complete the tuition assistance application for their respective household.
- Who has access to my financial information?
Tuition assistance applications are reviewed by the Tuition Assistance Committee. All information is secure and held in strict confidence.
- Is my information secure with Clarity?