Senior Kindergarteners recently engaged in a learning unit on Dr. Seuss. Over the past few weeks, students have read many of his books, such as Cat in the Hat, Fox in Socks, Wacky Wednesday and My Many Colored Days. They’ve dressed to the theme of the book on special days as well. For example, students wore MICDS red and green spirit wear to say “hooray for MICDS” on the day they read Hooray for Diffendoofer Day. And of course, the Wacky Wednesday theme provided an opportunity for wackiness (and cuteness) overload in the Lower School hallways! Themed activities have also been part of the learning experience, such as a fun hand paint art project celebrating Seuss characters Thing 1 and Thing 2 during “SK Cafe.” Hooray for SK!
Senior Kindergarten Teacher Kelly Hummel shared, “Students find the repetition and rhyming of Dr. Seuss‘ stories to be inviting, and they love the fun characters and events in his stories. The dress-up days are each inspired by one of Dr. Seuss‘ books, and they build excitement and provide a way to celebrate and connect with the stories.”
Because we could all possibly benefit from a little Dr. Seuss inspiration, here is a selection of Dr. Seuss quotes for your perusal:
- “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
- “To the world you may be one person; but to one person you may be the world.”
- “There are so many things you can learn about, but you’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.”
- “I know up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here on the bottom, we too should have rights!”
- “Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.”
- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”
- “It is better to know how to learn than to know.”
- “So, open your mouth, lad! For every voice counts!”
- “Step with care and great tact, and remember that life’s a great balancing act.
- “Everything stinks till it’s finished.”
- “And when things start to happen, don’t worry. Don’t stew. Just go right along. You’ll start happening too!”