Student Standouts: Siraj Mufti ’22, Anna Scott Baur ’22, Sophie Henriksen ’22, Ryan Mauney ’22, Lee Naber ’22, and Juliette Phillips ’23
Congratulations to this week’s standouts below. Way to go #RamNation! And as always, if you have a story to share, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Siraj Mufti '22 Creates Website to Serve Local Community
Congratulations to Siraj Mufti ’22 for his work to build an informational website about COVID-19, specifically designed to inform underserved communities. During a trip to Pakistan in 2019, he saw firsthand the short- and long-term effects on individuals who do not have access to health education or medical care. In June of 2021, he participated in the Saint Louis University Medical Scholars Program, where his group researched the effect of COVID-19 and the lack of access to information in underserved areas of St. Louis. He shadowed physicians who treated patients in distress over access to medical care, insurance, testing/vaccine information and locations, and mental health. Siraj hopes that his website will help combat vaccine misinformation and provide resources for accessible transportation, insurance, mental health, and telemedicine. As some individuals in underserved areas don’t have internet access, he shared his website with local organizations to help distribute the information. Thank you, Siraj, for serving your local community in this way!
Five Students Compete in NCSA Junior Nationals Swimming Championships
Congratulations to Anna Scott Baur ’22, Sophie Henriksen ’22, Ryan Mauney ’22, Lee Naber ’22, and Juliette Phillips ’23 for qualifying and competing in the NCSA Summer Junior Nationals Swimming Championships held in Huntsville, Alabama, earlier in August. Individual and relay accomplishments are listed below. Way to go, MICDS swimmers!
- Anna Scott Baur ’22 swam five individual events and two relays, which placed in the top 20 or better.
- Sophie Henriksen ’22 swam six individual events and five relays. She placed 12th overall in the 100m backstroke; 15th in the 50m backstroke and 200m freestyle; and 30th in the 200m backstroke. Her relay teams all placed in the top 12 or better.
- Ryan Mauney ’22 swam five individual events and two relays, which placed them in the top 15.
- Lee Naber ’22 swam six individual events and five relays. He placed 7th overall in the 50m freestyle; 6th in the 100m freestyle; 6th in the 200m freestyle; 9th in the 400m freestyle; and 4th in the 100m backstroke. His team placed 5th or higher in the five relays with a first-place finish in the 400m medley.
- Juliette Phillips ’23 swam six individual events and four relays. In three of the four relays, her team placed in the top 16 or higher.