You can feel the end-of-the-year energy reverberating throughout the halls. The weather is gorgeous (when it’s not hailing), the flowers are in full bloom, and kids and teachers alike are excited for the break that’s ahead. It’s important in the summer months to take care of your body, so you can have the energy and sustenance to enjoy the outdoors. Here are some tips for staying healthy over the summer:
- Water is almost always the best way to stay hydrated; but if you prefer flavor, stick to low sugar beverages like unsweetened teas or flavored waters
- Enjoy the fresh summer produce! Green beans, tomatoes, sweet peppers, and berries all taste their best during the hot months
- While it’s advised to wear sunscreen for prolonged sun exposure, make sure your bare skin feels the sun for at least 15 minutes – that’s the process by which our bodies make vitamin D, an essential nutrient!
- Pack healthy snacks for those times you’re outside – hand fruit, trail mix, chips with salsa or guacamole, veggies with hummus, and whole grain sandwiches all make great to-go snacks
- Allow yourself to rest and relax. Sleep. Soak in the sun. Explore somewhere new. Make time to do at least one thing you really enjoy. Being happy is essential to being healthy
I greatly enjoyed getting to know all of the students and staff at MICDS this school year. Your food service team promises to continue to listen to feedback, experiment in the kitchen, and make your lunch period a time you can truly enjoy. Have a great summer, and we look forward to serving everyone in the fall!