Jay Rainey will succeed Lisa Lyle as MICDS’ next Head of School, effective July 1, 2019.
The MICDS Board of Trustees appointed Jay Rainey as MICDS’ next Head of School in October 2018, after a thorough search including a talented and diverse candidate pool.
Rainey comes to MICDS from Randolph School, a K-12 independent school with 950 students, where he has served as Head of School since 2014. Prior to Randolph School, Rainey spent 12 years at Norfolk Academy, where he served as a math and English teacher, coach and college counselor before being promoted to Director of Studies and ultimately, Assistant Head for Academic Affairs.
Michelle Leith Cohen ’88, Chair of the MICDS Board of Trustees, said, “Jay’s strong leadership qualities, excellent interpersonal skills, commitment to academic excellence and extraordinary successes as an independent school educator and administrator ideally position him to lead our great school. Jay has a warm, approachable presence and collaborative style that invites and respects all points of view. He values diversity and cares deeply about building and nurturing a welcoming, inclusive community where every member feels a sense of value and belonging.”
Rainey shared, “I am thrilled and humbled by the opportunity to lead a school established by the vision of William Greenleaf Eliot in 1859, advanced by the vision of Lisa Lyle over the last 12 years and sustained by the vision of the faculty, administrators and trustees today. I am committed to furthering educational opportunities for individual students in consonance with the MICDS Mission and current Strategic Plan, and I am equally committed to prioritizing a collective spirit of compassion, selflessness and love of School during my tenure as Head. My family and I are grateful and excited to join such a proud and thriving School community.”
Rainey also has eight years of entrepreneurial and business experience. He earned a master’s degree from the College of William & Mary and an undergraduate degree from Princeton University. He is an avid reader and also enjoys playing piano, riding his bike and taking walks with his wife, Ruth. Together, they have two children and an English bulldog.
Current MICDS Head of School Lisa Lyle announced in January 2018 that she will leave her position at the end of the 2018-2019 school year when her third and current contract expires. She will continue to serve as Head of School through June 2019.
- Recent Communications
- Media Release: MICDS Board of Trustees Appoints James E. “Jay” Rainey, Jr. as Next Head of School
- Email to MICDS community on October 17, 2018: Head of School Announcement from the Board of Trustees
- Email to MICDS community on September 6, 2018: Head of School Search Update – Open Forums with Finalist Candidates
- Email to MICDS community on August 16, 2018: Head of School Search Announcement – Advisory Committee
- Email to MICDS community on May 22, 2018: MICDS Head of School Position Description
- Email to MICDS community on March 15, 2018: Head of School Search – Search Firm Announcement
- Email to MICDS community on February 22, 2018: A Bold Announcement – Bold Action Campaign Surpasses Goal
- Email to MICDS community on February 21, 2018: Search Committee Announcement
- Media Release: MICDS Head of School Lisa Lyle Announces Intent to Leave MICDS at End of Contract
- Email to MICDS community on January 24, 2018: Announcement from Lisa Lyle and Statement from the MICDS Board of Trustees