Ram Nation is proud of our robust athletic training program which is part of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA) List of Safe Sports Schools. Since 1994, the program has supported the health and safety of all MICDS athletes. Led by our two athletic trainers, Head Athletic Trainer Stacey Morgan and Athletic Trainer Ben Krueger, the program fosters the prevention, evaluation, and treatment of sports-related injuries and illnesses.
Our athletic trainers juggle many different responsibilities at MICDS from helping with fractured femurs, torn ACLs, and dislocated shoulders to administering CPR, physical therapy exercises, and evaluating concussions. They also do so much more! Learn more about the athletic training profession, the program at MICDS, and all that our athletic trainers do in the FAQ below.
- Who are our athletic trainers?
The athletic training program at MICDS began when current Head Athletic Trainer Stacey Morgan was hired in 1994 to develop the program. Morgan graduated from Ashland University with a degree in athletic training. Before coming to MICDS, she served as the graduate assistant athletic trainer at SIUE and interned with the NFL, NHL minor leagues, and the MLB Cape Cod League.
Since 2015, Morgan has been joined by MICDS Athletic Trainer Ben Krueger. Krueger earned his bachelor’s degree in athletic training at Lindenwood University and his master’s degree in nutrition and exercise science from Southeast Missouri State. Prior to MICDS, he interned as an athletic trainer with the Kansas City Chiefs during the 2014-15 NFL season.
- What's a day in the life like for our athletic trainers?
- Input the previous day’s treatments and notes into the database
- Retrieve golf carts and load water coolers for the day
- Teach one or two classes
- Between classes, work on grading, injury reports, filling/delivering water to fields
- Set up the athletic training room
- Conduct treatments until 4 p.m.
- Circulate around to practices or cover games until all contests are complete
- Clean and sanitize equipment
- Other tasks: developing policies, creating emergency action plans, field temperature readings, etc.
- Who can visit the athletic trainers and where is the Athletic Training Room?
The athletic trainers, as well as the Athletic Training Room, are available after school until games begin on school days, Monday through Friday. The Athletic Training Room is located on the lower level of the McDonnell Gymnasium on the Upper School campus. Support from the athletic trainers is for Middle and Upper School students.
- What are the Athletic Training Room hours?
The Athletic Training Room is open Monday through Friday after the first Upper School schedule block period at approximately 9:30 a.m. and closes at 4:00 p.m. to allow the trainers to head out for game coverage.
Heat Packs/Heating Unit and Ice Bags/Ice Machine
A Hydrotherapy Whirlpool Sports Bath
An Ultrasound Machine
Tape, Bandages, and Wraps
Physical Therapy Equipment
Dumbbells, Ankle Weights, Bosu Balls, Step Platform Benches, Mini Trampolines, Resistance Bands, and more
“What makes our athletic training room so amazing isn’t just the extensive equipment that is readily available to us but also the amazing people. Ms. Morgan and Mr. Krueger have helped me grow into the athlete I am today. Because of them, I am now more conscious about how I can prevent injuries and take care of my body overall.”Ella Durrill ’21Alumna