Spring is finally here, which means sweet, juicy fruits are becoming more abundant. This month, we’re excited to feature blueberries as our Fruits Matter focus.
Did you know?
- The two most common types of blueberries are: Highbush, which are the most commonly grown species in the U.S., and Lowbush or “wild”, which are typically smaller
- Maine produces more blueberries than anywhere in the world
- To ensure your berries stay fresh, keep them dry and only wash them right before eating
- A perfectly ripe blueberry, ready for eating, should appear “dusty” in color
- Blueberries contain antioxidants called anthocyanins and are among the highest antioxidant value fruits
- Try adding blueberries to oatmeal, salads, and tarts, or use them as a base in sauces and jams
We’ll be incorporating blueberries all throughout this month’s menu, so be sure to try a new dish featuring this all-star fruit. Below, you’ll find Flik’s signature recipe for our Blueberry Salad with a Berry Dijon Vinaigrette. If you make our recipe, please share what you thought by leaving a comment on our school dining site. While you’re on our site, be sure to check out this month’s menu, as well as our other monthly promotions and programs!